CSU School of Social Work Highlights
- Both the BSW and MSW Programs are accredited as in-person and online programs by the Council on Social Work Education. Students can complete their degrees fully online.
- CSU has the nation’s only National Association of Social Workers-authorized Student Club.
- The School’s University Partnership Program (UPP) a Title IV-E Child Welfare Program provides special opportunities for students interested in public child welfare
- Many social work students receive a substance abuse certificate in addition to their degree.
- The School of Social Work MSW Program is among a select group of urban schools of social work with both Clinical and Advanced Generalist specializations.
- More than three hundred social service agencies in Cleveland and northeast Ohio region provide internship opportunities to social work students.
- Social work faculty are highly productive scholars, publishing books, multiple research articles, and recipients of grants to fund their research.
- Two faculty members received Cleveland State University's Distinguished Faculty Award for Research.
- Faculty members have been awarded the 2018 Ohio NASW Social Worker of the Year (Dr. Larry Foster) and the 2022 Ohio NASW Outstanding Service to the Profession Award (Dr. Mike Dover). Four of our alumni have been recently recognized by the Ohio National Association of Social Workers for Region Three: the 2022 Emerging Leader Award (Phillip Emerson), the 2023 Emerging Leader Award (Gabrielle Fowlkes), the 2022 Student of the Year Award (Jeff Goad), the 2023 Student of the Year Award (Karla Fitch). Emeritus Professor, Dr. Edward A. McKinney, was inducted into the 2022 Ohio Department of Aging “Senior Citizens Hall of Fame”, see: https://aging.ohio.gov/see-news-and-events/ohio-senior-citizens-hall-of-fame/inductees-ohio-senior-citizen-hall-of-fame-2022).
- Three faculty members serve in leadership roles for national organizations.
- The School of Social Work is home to the Journal of Reflections, Narratives of Professional Helping.
- The Cuyahoga Conference on Social Welfare, now in its 11th year, was instituted by School of Social Work Faculty.
- The Anna V. Brown Conference, focusing on the needs of black elders in the community is an initiative of the School, in collaboration with community partners.
*Cleveland State University’s Master of Social Work Program is ranked among the Best Graduate Schools by U.S. News & World Report. In 2019, The Master of Social Work Program and Baccalaureate Social Work programs have been reaffirmed for accreditation for the next eight years by the Council on Social Work Education Commission on Accreditation.