Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy
Music Therapy is an established, evidence-based health science profession in which music is used as a therapeutic tool to treat individuals with cognitive, behavioral, communicative, social/emotional, physical, or spiritual needs. The music therapy track is a comprehensive program grounded in both the art and science of music therapy. Music therapy courses at CSU prepare candidates for a meaningful career in music therapy.
The Cleveland State University Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy is accredited by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). Successful completion of coursework in the music therapy track (including internship) leads to eligibility to sit for the national board certification examination administered by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT). Once the exam is passed, the candidate receives the credential MT-BC (Music Therapist – Board Certified) and is eligible to practice as a music therapist. Board-certified music therapists work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, schools, mental health settings, rehabilitation centers, hospices, and nursing homes.
The following are qualifications for all prospective students wishing to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy:
For Fall 2024 entry:
- Acceptance to the Music Therapy Program:
- MT candidates accepted to the university will be admitted as pre-music therapy majors. Formal admission into the Department of Music Therapy bachelor's degree in music therapy program will be assessed following first year of study
- Note: Prospective music therapy majors are NOT required to audition for acceptance into the School of Music or the Music Therapy program.
- MT candidates interested in auditioning for music talent scholarships or other School of Music activities should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You can now get all your undergraduate information right from the undergraduate catalog!
In the undergraduate catalog you can find:
- information on the Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy
- information on the various courses (to narrow down courses to Music Therapy, enter MTX in Prefix drop-down)
- a degree map for the program
If you have any difficulties navigating the catalog, feel free to contact us at 216-687-3807 or email@example.com.