This track is commonly utilized by students who are pursuing health-related careers, for which we do not have a specified track. Students should work with their advisor to design an Area of Emphasis reflecting their particular interests and the skills required for the kinds of positions or grad programs they wish to pursue. We encourage students to choose a concentration area and build their credentials by incorporating relevant minors and/or certificates.
The College of Health supports students who are pursuing entry into professional health programs, such as medical school, dental school, pharmacy school, optometry school, and anesthesiology assistant programs. While students can choose from a variety of majors, the flexibility of the Bachelor of Science in Health Science makes it an ideal option to accompany these program prerequisites. Advisors can assist students in creating a plan to meet their degree requirements and incorporate their prerequisite courses. Additionally, students have the support of the pre-professional coordinators in the Office of Career Development and Exploration. The coordinators coach students in what is required to be a competitive candidate for the student’s desired graduate program. Additionally, they offer support throughout the application process.
While students can choose from a variety of health-related coursework to apply toward their Area of Emphasis, the General Interest track requires the completion of a minimum number of science and social science courses to give students a broad foundation in the health sciences field. In addition to the approved course series, students must complete the Capstone Requirement. These credits will be applied toward the Area of Emphasis.
CORE - THREE COURSES
- HSC 200 - Introduction to Health Sciences (waived for Tri-C and Lakeland 2+2 students and Post-Baccalaureate students in General Interest Track)
- HSC 203 - Medical Terminology
- HSC 305 - Culture and Health Care
CHOOSE ONE COURSE
- PHL 240 - Health Care Ethics
- PHL 340 - Foundations of Bioethics
CHOOSE ONE COURSE
- STA 147 - Statistical Concepts with Applications
- STA 347 - Applied Statistics
- PSY 217 - Behavioral Science Statistics: Description
- PSY 317 - Behavioral Science Statistics: Inference
AREA OF EMPHASIS
REQUIRED SCIENCE COURSES - 16 CREDITS
- Students must choose 16 credits from the approved list of science courses.
REQUIRED SOCIAL SCIENCE COURSES - 12 CREDITS
- Students must choose 12 credits from the approved list of social science courses.
AREA OF EMPHASIS ELECTIVES - 20 CREDITS
- Choose 20 credit hours of electives from the approved list.
CAPSTONE - CHOOSE ONE COURSE
All students completing a BSHS major must complete a capstone experience and the exit evaluation.
- HSC 410 - Evidence Based Practice
- HSC 440H - Honors Cooperative Education Career Experience
- HSC 484 - Advanced Research and Writing in Health Sciences
- HSC 486 - Cooperative Education Career Experience
- HSC 487 - Community-Based Participatory Research and Health
EXIT EVALUATION - ONE COURSE
- HSC 499 - Exit Evaluation